Director - Data Governance
Permanent (Full time)
Our Fortune 500 company is driving a digital transformation and looking for forward-thinking innovators to disrupt how our industry thinks about and uses technology. As one of the world's leading employee benefits providers, we help millions of people gain affordable access to benefits that help them protect their families, their finances and their futures.
Are you an asker of questions, a solver of problems, and a challenger of the status quo? Our mission is to provide a differentiated customer experience and exceed the expectations people have of technology at any company - not just insurers.
We are seeking individuals to join our team of talented IT professionals who share never-ending passion and an unwavering focus on our customer experience. Team members comfortable working in an agile, fast-paced, and delivery-focused environment thrive in our environment where we value an entrepreneurial spirit and those who challenge the status-quo.
Unum is changing, and we're excited about what's next. Join us.
The Director - Data Governance is instrumental in the implementation of Data Governance for the enterprise data organization. The role provides leadership to several Agile and/or infrastructure and operations teams supporting various business and data governance, technical capabilities, services or functional areas of IT.
The Director - Data Governance interacts with managers, business, compliance, risk, product owners, or similar relevant roles to define delivery priorities using available technical, financial and people resources. This role works with stakeholders and IT counterparts to develop business partner relationships, effectively communicates, and successfully executes data governance, compliance and data quality plans in support of the agreed goals and objectives.
- Degree in computer science preferred, or relevant technical and data compliance experience
- 8+ years experience in an IT field and data governance, or equivalent relevant work experience.
- Prior management experience is preferred
- Demonstrates leadership in executing IT plans successfully that enable technical or business capabilities and address technology or business priorities
- Strong understanding of Regulatory demands, compliance, risk and Agile/Lean leadership principles
- Exhibits courage by taking smart risks and encouraging others to do so; empowers innovative approaches by motivating others to be proactive and resourceful
- Has proven and demonstrated data governance knowledge and skills in one or more technologies or industries
- Able to apply broad business and technology understanding of internal and external trends and capabilities, to ensure successful implementation of IT plans.
- Able to communicate a compelling vision and need for change that generates excitement, enthusiasm, and commitment to the process
- Demonstrates strategic and critical thinking capability
- Interacts with others, internally and externally, in a way that gives them confidence in their intentions and those of the organization
- Understands the business case for each deliverable undertaken and works with their manager and product owner to help ensure benefits are realized
- Has strong planning, communication and presentation skills, and the capability to listen and influence
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads data governance with multiple agile teams to successfully build, enhance, transform or support technology and/or business services by delivering on outcomes.
- Engages in strategic planning with business, compliance, risk and IT stakeholders, to provide direction, guidance or recommendations on enterprise data governance program.
- Defines a portfolio of change and roadmap. Engages and influences IT and business leaders to ensure the portfolio will deliver agreed business objectives.
- Collaborates with IT leadership across various disciplines, provides guidance, direction or recommendations to address a wide range of business and technology needs, with an emphasis on optimized, timely and successful delivery.
- In collaboration with their manager, initiates and influences relationships with and between key stakeholders involved in the management and implementation of IT plans, acts as a point of contact for stakeholders, planners, designers, and operational business partners.
- In partnership with practice leaders, drives compliance of the company's technical and architectural data assets and policies.
- Leverages deep understanding of IT, emerging technologies, and technical capabilities to guide and influence stakeholders and teams in developing solutions, build, deployment, testing and ongoing management of IT services.
- Takes bold action to ensure there is a strong, diverse talent and leadership pipeline in place to meet aggressive business goals. Develops, coaches and engages people to higher levels of performance.
- Understands the needs of a self-organizing team (cross-functioning, partners with the business, collaborative, works quickly and unencumbered, be empowered and autonomous, be able to focus on self-improvement) and supports the management activities that make self-organization successful.
- Ensures that the scrum team(s) apply the best governance practices including, but not limited to: compliance guidelines, data standards, data quality focused test driven development, peer reviews, continuous integration deployment practices, unit and regression test automation, comprehensive approach to addressing NFR, adherence to standards, comprehensive 'definition of done,' team retrospectives, etc.
- Understands patterns and trends that contribute to utilizing key performance indicators and critical success factors that will improve the performance of the organization.
Our company is built on helping individuals and families, and this starts with our employees. We want employees to maintain a positive balance, which is why we provide access to the benefits and resources they need to invest in themselves. From our onsite fitness facilities and generous paid time off to employee professional development programs, we are committed to helping employees live and work their best - both inside and outside the office.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.