Health Services Assistant- Candidate Pool (2021-2022)
Permanent (Full time)
Below is specific information for you to consider about this position.
Job Title: Health Services Assistant- Candidate Pool (2021-2022) and Requisition ID number: 72929
Site: Locations may vary on a routine basis.
Close Date: No established closing date; open until filled
Full/Part Time: Varies
Functional Area: Clerical
This position is a candidate pool and not a specific position at a school or department. This position may require an initial screening interview before being placed into the Candidate Pool. There may not be an available position(s) at the time of application but positions can become available at any time. The candidate pool is used to refer qualified applicants to the site/department with the open position. Human Resources will process your application, and once approved, your name will be sent to the Site(s) and or Department(s) with available positions.
Resume and Cover Letter are mandatory to apply for any position.
This posting serves to collect an applicant pool for 2021-2022 Health Service Assistant positions. Positions may be full or part time. If you are selected for an interview, you will be contacted directly by someone from the hiring team when there are positions available.
Under general supervision, Health Service Assistants provide first-level, on-site Health Services at Minneapolis Public School (MPS) facilities. Hours worked by Health Service Assistants are within student contact time only--but hours vary by specific assigned site.
Principal responsibilities of Health Service Assistants may include:
- Providing first aid and episodic care to MPS students and responding to emergencies as needed.
- Performing duties within scope of authority and training, and in compliance with MPS policies and quality standards. Duties may vary according to job assignment.
- Interviewing students and listening to their health care concerns, to determine the level of health care services needed to address the issue(s), following established guidelines, policy and procedures.
- Following protocols, procedures, and written care plans to administer medications, treatments, and episodic care under the delegation and guidance of the licensed school nurse.
- Providing referrals to other members of the school health team and outside resources in accordance with District guidelines and with appropriate consultations with parents and the licensed school nurse.
- Assisting with vision, hearing and growth screenings following District and State guidelines, as requested by the licensed school nurse or per parent/teacher request.
- Following District and State protocols/procedures to ensure infection control practices are maintained.
- Following communicable disease protocols/procedures including prevention, tracking, and follow-up.
- Maintaining accurate and complete health records for students and entering data in the Electronic Pupil Health Record.
- Participating as a member of the Site Emergency Response Team to prepare for and respond to emergency situations.
- Maintaining student immunization records and practices according to Minnesota School Immunization Law and following up with parents/guardians of students who are not in compliance.
- Maintaining inventory of first aid supplies and equipment; and re-ordering supplies as needed.
- May also track student attendance as assigned.
- Demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with students, families, visitors, and MPS staff; and acting in a manner that promotes a harmonious and effective workplace environment.
- Enthusiastically promoting the Superintendent’s goals and priorities in compliance with all policies and procedures.
- Maintaining absolute confidentiality of work-related issues, records, and MPS information.
- Other duties or tasks may be assigned on an as-needed basis.
- At times may be required to work outside normal business hours and work extended hours to accomplish requirements of the position.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED
Education and Experience:
- Possession of a High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- One (1) year of experience as a Medical Technician, EMT, or Homecare PCA.
- First aid/CPR training
An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience may substitute for this requirement, at the discretion of Human Resources.
Candidates with experience as a Certified Nursing Assistant are encouraged to apply.
License and Certification:
- Ongoing First Aid/CPR certification.
- Additional health and safety training may be required.
- A valid Minnesota State Driver’s License may be required.
- State and Federal laws and regulatory issues governing public health, including rules and regulations of the Minnesota Department of Health and other governing agencies.
- Public health and safety protocols and regional healthcare issues.
- Nutrition and health maintenance issues for children and young adults.
- Regional community service agencies and other governmental assistance programs.
- Principles of record keeping and confidential records and file management.
- Customer service and public relations methods and practices.
- Interpreting and applying applicable Federal, state and local rules and regulations; and MPS policies.
- Analyzing and identifying healthcare problems and coordinating efforts with the licensed school nurse to recommend effective solutions.
- Maintaining calm demeanor in emergency and stressful situations.
- Using initiative and independent judgment within established procedural guidelines.
- Providing effective customer service, and dealing tactfully and courteously with clients.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with co-workers and students.
- Operating a personal computer utilizing standard and specialized software.
- Communicating effectively verbally and in writing.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
Work is performed in a standard office environment and school health clinic setting which requires moderate physical strength and agility to include sitting, standing, walking, bending, reaching and occasional lifting, amd moving and carrying of up to 40 pounds. Work also requires manual dexterity and visual acuity to perform required job tasks. Performance of duties is subject to exposure to hazardous chemicals, infectious diseases, and air/blood borne pathogens. Incuments hired must be capable of responding to emergencies at the school site in a timely manner and performing CPR.
- Bargaining Unit: AFSCME
- Grade: A6
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- Job Group: Academics
- Revised: January 27, 2015
Final appointment to this position will be contingent upon passing a criminal background check.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY:
Diversity is one of Minneapolis Public Schools core values and is essential to our goal of putting children first and making them college-ready. Diversity of our workforce provides us with a competitive advantage and allows us to better understand, communicate with and educate our diverse student body. Minneapolis Public Schools will not deny anyone the opportunity for training or employment because of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender or gender identity, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, disability, sexual orientation, age, family care leave status, or veteran status.
Minneapolis Public Schools strongly encourages diverse candidates to apply.
Posting Notes: | No Established Closing Date | Varies | Varies | Clerical