Senior Software Developer - Eugene | Zoek USA | 0708644026c24aaeab145f12aa966540
This Browser does not support all the features of .
For the best experience please use a Modern Browser.
Senior Software Developer
Permanent (Full time)
Palo Alto Software is looking for two experienced Software Developers to join our team.
About our company and Eugene, Oregon
Palo Alto Software is a company that puts people first. We?re a friendly team of more than 70 diverse, world-class experts who appreciate and are aligned with our company values and add our own distinct strengths to that culture. Please review all the information on our culture at this link before believe that when we help one small business owner grow their business, we?re helping an entire community. Please visit and to learn how our products help achieve our mission to help people succeed in employees are independent thinkers and creative problem-solvers who enjoy work-life integration and lead full, interesting lives. Our location in Eugene supports access to engaging and challenging work in a growing tech scene in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. Eugene?s commute times and our drinking water (from the McKenzie River Watershed) are some of the best in the nation, and homes are more affordable than you?d find in Portland, Seattle, or the Bay Area.
In the past, our team worked primarily in our office with some remote flexibility. We are currently working fully remote for safety reasons, and expect a similar level of remote work flexibility to continue long-term. When it's safe to do so, we may require in-person attendance during some events, meetings, or projects. We will share our remote work guidelines with successful candidates before hiring.
Benefits we provide:
- Competitive salary
- Health / vision / dental / ortho
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Reimbursement Account
- Generous paid vacation and holidays
- Paid community volunteer time
- 401(k) with a match
- Relocation reimbursement
- Flexible work schedule
- Discounted gym membership
- Fun company events
- A diverse and inclusive environment
- Values-based company culture
- And much more
About our LivePlan development team
We use an agile process with two-week sprints, story point estimation, monthly retrospectives, and a commitment to experimentation and continuous process improvement. We develop our web applications using React, ES6, Java, Dropwizard, Redis, Postgres, Docker, AWS cloud hosting, and other contemporary technologies. Our in-house product managers and UX designers work upstream from development, kicking off new feature designs and preparing user stories with design deliverables for team estimation. Our QA team is in-house; they use a combination of technical chops and subject-matter expertise to do manual and automated testing on new features, regressions, bug fixes, and more.
About this role:
This is a hands-on development position focused on maintaining and extending our market-leading business web applications to help entrepreneurs all over the world start, plan, and grow their businesses. This is a full-time, permanent, exempt position reporting to the VP of Engineering.
The Senior Software Developer is responsible for:
- Contributing to new feature development in our web applications
- Coordinating with our product manager and others to design effective solutions to user needs
- Pairing with other developers as needed to mentor, cross-train, and share knowledge throughout the team
- Participating in estimation sessions to understand user goals and use cases, craft effective solutions, and point work requirements
- Sharing feedback and ideas in team retrospectives to help us continually improve and experiment with our processes, tools, workflow, etc.
- Helping triage customer escalations when needed
- Participating in on-call rotation to help ensure our applications are available at all times
What success looks like:
- Taking ownership of a smaller feature or contributing to the combined efforts to deliver a larger story every sprint
- Fixing high priority bugs that are blocking a release or resolving high priority customer escalations
- Leveraging all the resources of the team to get the best results
- Checking in with other members of the team and making sure that our work is well-designed, well-tested, well-documented, reliable, and that deployment is well-planned
- Supporting your team by doing code reviews, participating in pairing, estimation, and retrospectives, and by refactoring the code you see to be clearer, more reliable, and easier to understand
- Documenting how a feature should work and increasingly becoming a "go-to" person for parts of the application you have experienced
- Pushing yourself to grow into new skills and technologies. This can mean delivering a feature that uses something you haven't tried before, or it can mean using professional development time to learn a topic and then present it to the team.
Education, experience, & skills required:
We are looking for engineers with an excellent senior-level skill set. We're less interested in X years of experience. What we most want to see are strong developers with qualities like this:
- Curiosity and reflectiveness above all else
- Grit. Once you have identified and engaged a problem, you do not give up easily. You are able to navigate and push through obstacles, and consistently drive to a solution.
- A commitment to continuous improvement: notice the less-than-ideal things about your day to day work and relentlessly move those things toward the ideal
- Inclination and ambition for leadership roles, including project-management, motivating and supporting teammates, and communicating goals, processes, and feedback with clarity, positivity, and candor
- Top-notch creative problem-solving skills
- Proven ability to embrace and learn new technologies, techniques, and processes
- Excellent interpersonal skills, a good sense of humor, and an easy ability to collaborate with other developers, UX designers, DevOps engineers, QA analysts, and more
- High level of craftsmanship about producing clean, high-quality, maintainable, and performant code
- Four-year degree in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent experience
- All PAS employees uphold our shared values and add their own distinct strengths to that culture
Education, experience & skills preferred:
- Preferably experience working as part of an agile/scrum development team, though that is easy enough to learn on the job
- Expert level knowledge of one or more of the tools in our stack
Please include a cover letter with your application. We'd like to know why you're interested in this position at Palo Alto Software in Eugene, OR.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Posted 2 days ago