300,519 Data Entry Jobs in the USA
Login / Register with Zoek for Data Entry jobs and start applying today!
A Data Entry job description is quite straightforward – your day will involve entering information into a computerized database. The type of information varies from company to company. If you work for a sales company for example, it could be sales data or personal information on new clients. But if you work for a research firm it could be market research survey results.
Information you work on might be text based on numerical. And may be paper based information that needs logging digitally.
As masters of the archives, you might have a company-facing role whereby it is your responsibility to help other employees find the information they need. It’s also quite common as you move up the ladder to combine the role of Data Entry Clerk with a Customer Service Adviser role.
You need several skills to be an effective Data Entry Clerk, all of which will require a lot of computer time. They include:
- Language skills: You’ll need English language skills to work in Data Entry. To prepare, learn to read, write and proofread at a high level
- Typist skills: Using programs like Word of Docs, practice writing anything and everything until you can type at least 35 words per minute. Consider using a free online test to identify your typing speed. And take advantage of the many free online games that are designed to help you improve.
- Computer skills: You will need to know how to use computer programs to input and edit electronic data. Search for free tutorials online for popular programs, such as Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Interpersonal skills: You will need to communicate with almost every employee in the business during your data entry projects. So having good communication skills will be vital.
As far as qualifications go, you don’t really need anything past your high school education. But there are plenty of Data Entry certifications you can take online to learn the basis and get a head start on the competition.
The field of Data Entry is only due to grow 2% by 2024. But what it lacks in explosive growth, it makes up for in stability. The need for these jobs are set to remain steady for the foreseeable future.
A Data Entry salary is on average $32,050 per year.
Data entry jobs are fairly easy to come by as workers are needed by almost every type of business. You will also have access to further work if you freelance, as many companies are outsourcing work due to the majority of workforce’s becoming virtual. And as a job it has one of the lowest entry barriers going. The cost and effort involved in gaining skills for Data Entry are minimal.
You could however benefit from being forewarned about job scams. There are many work-from-home scams in Data Entry that can derail your effort to find work. You can use the following tips to minimize the risk:
- Do your due diligence by researching any company that is offering a job
- Work only for companies that have been approved by the Better Business Bureau, or are listed by the Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Do not give out any personal information to a prospective employer unless the previous 2 steps have been completed.
- Avoid companies that ask you to pay for admin expenses, certifications, data on employers or training programs.
Setting Up Alerts...
Logging you in...